Identity Photo Essays
This unit focuses on the field of photography and uses camera techniques and artistic elements to help students visually communicate the identity of their subjects. For this project, photos are used to depict a single person’s identity by either directly photographing the subject or taking photos of objects that represent the subject. The photo series should include 3-5 images that depict different parts of the subject’s identity. Each photo should be interesting enough to stand on its own while also fitting in with the other photos in the series.
Students will be able to portray a subject in a series of photographs.
Students will be able to connect components of a person’s identity with visual characteristics representing that identity.
Students will be able to communicate about photography imagery and practices using industry-standard vocabulary.
Media Arts Standards
Anchor Standard 3: Refine and complete artistic work.
Anchor Standard 5: Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for presentation.
Anchor Standard 10: Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make art.
Wonder how this worked with students? Check out our blog post about this unit.
- Identity Photo Essay Project Brief Template.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay Project Brief Deck.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay Identity One Pager.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay Space One Pager.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay Scale One Pager.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay Training Deck 1, Elements and Principles.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay, Photography Tips.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay, Photography Sutori.pdf
- Identity Photo Essay, Identity Sutori.pdf